Sunday, January 31, 2016

perceptions and reality

my view of my parent's mountain
(see far mountain with the sun on the eastern face)


 my parents view of their mountain

The above pictures were taken at the exact same time.

Of the same thing.

Although, you'd never guess it!

From my perspective, it was the perfect winter day. A peaceful early morning. I had a beautiful view of the valley as I took down my blinds for day two of window installation. I couldn't help but gaze northward for a view of my "home mountain" Ben Lomond. The sun was just rising illuminating its face. It was incredibly beautiful. It calmed my heart and turned my thoughts heavenward.

Then my dad called. He said he was concerned about how the day was going to go. Confused, I responded, what do you mean? He then went on to say that they had two inches of snow on the ground and that the fog was so thick that they couldn't even see the trees at the back of the yard.

Then I started laughing...I couldn't help it. From my perspective, they should have been enjoying the same sunrise I was, and from their perspective, I should have been enjoying the same foggy gloom they were. Yet...our perceptions were just that...perceptions of the others reality and both incorrect.

Lesson? Perceptions are not the same thing as reality. Perceptions are only the lens with which we anticipate someones reality but it doesn't make it true. I'm grateful for these very vivid reminders that they are not the same thing.

I think about how the Lord must view this principle that he is all too familiar with. He sees all the things that I can't see. He knows where I've been and what is yet to be. He knows what's around the corner, the riverbend and the next hill. He sees all the pieces of the plan in one and as one.

Elder Maxwell once said, "It is that you must not mistake passing local cloud cover for general darkness. They are very different things, and for us to misinterpret local cloud cover, which will soon be blown away, as general darkness is a terrible thing. The restored gospel is so full metaphorically of light. We must not be mistaken about this."





No comments:

Post a Comment