Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I delight in the tying of ends.

tying of loose ends
mantua, utah
april 2013

As I listened to general conference this past weekend, I noticed something that most all the speakers did very well, besides what the spoke on, they tied up loose ends. There is a principle of "talk" writing that might have a specific name but I call it the tying of ends...where you start with something and end with that same something-ish.

The easiest way I can think to explain it is when someone starts off with a story which digresses into something else but by the end they've come back to the original story having tied it all together...hence the tying of the ends. People use hymns, songs, or poems to do it a lot too. General authorities use it all. the. time. Which is good because there is nothing like a good subject matter and a good talk writing skills.

I strive for these "tying of end" moments in my life as well. Usually it starts with a question, then it seems in things I do or go to, or think about or conversations that I have, or talks I read, or meetings I sit in, or scriptures or books that I read, all relate back to it. It builds and I learn and then it all culminates and ties together...relating back to the first thing resulting in lessons learned, purposes discovered and blessings recognized. It's a beautiful thing and something I seek and look forward to watching unravel.

There are many lessons, "secrets" and things about this concept that I have discovered over time but the true principle I always come back to is this: that I am a daughter of a loving Heavenly Father who knows me. He knows me. Even more than that, he is intent on my personal growth and will help me see the things I need to see and learn the lessons I need to learn while helping others on their way as well.

As was taught in my institute class tonight, the Lord's gains on the experiences we have in mortality are eternal. He doesn't just send us here to earth to accomplish one purpose. We accomplish many purposes, most of which I believe go unintentionally unrecognized. But they don't have to.

Because the Lord is intent on our growth, he will help us see what we need to see. He will "tie the ends." Some ends aren't tied together any too soon but in the gospel of Jesus Christ, I do believe they come. The more we seek him, the more they come.  And this is my lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment