Saturday, July 13, 2013

I delight in a Savior who searches.


During His ministry, Christ healed a blind man. The leaders of the Jews called the man before them and demanded he renounce Christ. When he refused, they cast him out.

When Jesus heard what the leaders had done, He immediately went looking for this man (John 9:35). I could see the determination on Christ’s face as He made His way through the crowd. I draw comfort from knowing that if He will search after him, He will search after me.

The above picture and print is from the same source sited below the picture. This picture is called The Prince of Peace and is by artist, Liz Lemon Swindle. For me, the story behind the picture is what makes the picture so special.  

The Savior is depicted in so many different ways. While I definitely have my favorite picture of Christ which is rarely circulated and which I found almost by accident one day in a bookstore in Logan, this picture above became a close second the moment I heard the story behind it. 

The look in his eyes penetrates my soul. I think it's because it's a look I can identify with. I've always had a silly fear of being left behind and of being lost. I was the worried child who always kept her eye on her mother in the store, who never strayed too far and who when I didn't see my mother in an instant began to search for her. As the years have gone on, I've had the look of searching many a time for my sister when she wanders off in a store to look at something of interest to her or when my brother was younger and would get lost. Needless to say, I am all too familiar with the look of searching. 

I love that when Jesus heard what had been done he immediately went looking, and dare I say, looking intently for the man. He knew he had to find him, to comfort him and likely to bless him. As I think about the times my heart wanders, I can all too quickly imagine the Savior with set eyes, diligently searching for me, little ole me.

It brings comfort to my heart and delight to my soul that the Lord searches after us, each of us. That he knows our eternal identities as his brothers and sisters and searches for us in our times of hurting hearts, despair,  being cast off, feeling forsaken, and being prone to wander.


No comments:

Post a Comment