Sunday, May 29, 2011

I delight in 'for sure.'


As has already been discussed, I'm the most 'not-spontaneous' person I know. In fact in relief society today, we discussed (for the second week in a row now) talents. And for the second week in a row, when the question was posed, "What talent would you like to possess?" I have written down two things: 1. The self-discipline NOT to push my snooze button in the morning and 2. The ability to be spontaneous.

And so, this week I was offered an amazing opportunity but it came down to a question of time. Do I have time? So much to do, but so little time. Balancing life, school, clinic, family, and in a sense a job I already have, is there time for another? I just wasn't sure.

All week I've been planning and thinking and hoping and praying. I even went so far as to write my 'acceptance' e-mail last night, but I couldn't bring myself to send it. Then, I went to Sunday School where my friend Mitch was teaching the lesson. We talked about the parable of the Unjust Judge. We'd talked about it last week as well but honestly, my attention span was shot last week, but this week...I was tuned in. During the comments of others, I realized that even when the Lord doesn't answer our prayers it does not mean that he isn't interested or that he doesn't care, that's just an assumption we naturally make as a result of being 'natural men'. It doesn't mean that we should stop praying about it because God doesn't care, it means that he is so interested in our welfare that he has better plans for us--whether it be us using our own judgement and figuring things out or him telling us the answer when the time is right. After I made this comment, Mitch asked me to read this quote from Elder Scott:

  • Elder Richard G. Scott said:

  • “It is a mistake to assume that every prayer we offer will be answered immediately. Some prayers require considerable effort on our part. …

  • “When we explain a problem and a proposed solution [to our Heavenly Father], sometimes He answers yes, sometimes no. Often He withholds an answer, not for lack of concern, but because He loves us—perfectly. He wants us to apply truths He has given us. For us to grow, we need to trust our ability to make correct decisions. We need to do what we feel is right. In time, He will answer. He will not fail us” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1989, 38; or Ensign, Nov. 1989, 30–31).

    He then posed the question: What have you learned as you have persevered in prayer? In an instant, I knew the answer to the question I had been pondering all week. I realized that the Lord is aware of my time and my abilities better than I am. And I need to trust that. I saw the situation with new eyes and knew my answer. We need to do what we feel is right--that was the take home lesson. Whether by my own thoughts or by the feeling that comes by the Spirit of God, we can know what is right and we will feel it in our hearts.

    For a situation that seemed so chaotic, it is now a beautiful whole. I see the picture. I see all the pieces and desires of my heart that have come into play. This wholeness I think can only come when we allow the Lord help us see the plan he has in store for us. The moments he lets us see how the pieces are coming together and working for our good.

No comments:

Post a Comment