Sunday, November 17, 2013

I delight in being brave.


leaves at the rose garden
portland, oregon
fall 2013

The title of this delight is a little deceiving because it implies that I am already brave. However, I'm intending it more as an affirmation of what I want to be.  There are some situations you can't really deal with entirely until they happen. You can always say what you're going to do or what you're going to think when "something like that" happens, but honestly, you never ever know until that moment of choice comes and you really have to deal with the situation. 

In those moments, you've got to be brave and just go. I like to plan and contemplate but life involves some risk. It involves taking a chance to see where you might end up. One of my lessons this week is this: "its incredibly worth the risk." The details of that lesson end there but let me just tell you, it's a powerful lesson when it comes from a powerful friend. Powerful because of experience and powerful because of perspective. 

________

11) I delight in dancing at PALS. This is another treasured place where I always feel I can be myself. Where I feel I can love these kids so openly and so sincerely. I'm so grateful to have Christin in my life so I can know and love her friends. She has awesome friends with such distinct gifts, talents and such an incredible ability to love. 

12) I delight in my calling. I love the opportunity to get to really know and love the sisters in my ward. They are incredible and their strength is undeniable. They are gifted, talented, remarkable women with so much to offer the world and the kingdom of God. I'm blessed to know them, blessed to love them and blessed to be loved by them.

13) I delight in a delightful evening. Delight isn't a word I use lightly but its the only word that kept coming to mind as I tried to describe it later. There is something about not knowing a person very well, having dinner and seeing where a conversation goes. A conversation that has no agenda. It was so delightful to discuss books, places, adventures and family without any mention of television or pop culture. It's so delightful to discuss the scriptures like its a normal topic of conversation which I so strongly believe that it should be. I delight in remarkable people who go about doing good. 

14) I delight in a lifetime best friend. Not many people can say they've been friends for forever but in Carly and I's case that's honestly the truth. I'm grateful for her wisdom, friendship and love.

15) I delight in the experiences of life. I'm grateful that experiences can count for something when it comes to sharing with others what you have learned through the experiences you've had. It makes it so much more worth it. I'm also grateful for professional relationships that grow into so happy to see you that I must give you a hug. I am so grateful to know the people I know and to be able to learn from them. I'm ever impressed by the lives they lead.

16) I delight in a comfy day. I haven't had a comfy day in a long long time. It involved me doing the things I needed to do, doing the things I wanted to do, all while wearing sweatpants---my BYU ones of course because it is a game day! I loved babies, helped script out a primary program about children with special needs, I fixed myself a real lunch, cleaned my room (which was in much need of cleaning), put up my Christmas decorations, Christmas crafted with my mom, had dinner with my family, ran errands with LB and had some quality sister time with that sweetest LB of mine. She's the best.

17) I delight in making choices. Agency and prayer have been a major study theme recently. Making choices is exercising agency, exercising agency is choosing to act as opposed to being acted upon. Even though making choices can be difficult sometimes, I'm still glad I can make them. I'm glad I can choose how I feel about a situation. I'm glad that I have moral agency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment