Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 12: The Week I Played Mom

Last week, my mom had her knee replaced. We've been through this before, though I'm not sure if that made it better or worse.

She made it through like a champ and honestly was doing better after the first day than she was weeks after she had the first one done. The trickiest thing about it is that my mom is wonder woman...and everyone knows wonder woman is a terrible patient.

I took last week off to essentially "play mom." I went on "the ride", took care of bob's blood, fixed meals, refilled waters and the knee cooler machine. And the million other little things mom does. Not to say I did all the things or did any of them as well as she does but hopefully it helped.

I still went to Tuesday class and worked Friday. I went to a RS Bread class on Thursday night. It's my goal to bake more bread this week and hope it turns out as remotely well as the first loaf did. Saturday I returned home again, bounced back and forth on Sunday as the choir sang "Consider the Lilies." They sounded incredible. It makes me so proud to be able to lead them.

The week was still my own, probably more than it should have been. I still did some work from home. I still went through the usual stuff but, stepping into someone else's shoes helped my heart to grow, my patience to be strengthened and my tendency toward sharpness to be dulled. I tried to let myself be more complimentary, more kind, more loving and just more of whatever it needed to be.

As I sat and watched the General Women's session of General Conference with my Mom, my heart strings were tugged as I thought of all the ways I can bless the lives of others, and need to do so more regularly. My sweet mom sat and wept through the whole conference. I know she wasn't thinking the same thing as I, but I was thinking...she's so incredible and she demonstrates so many of the attributes that were spoken of. I'm so grateful for her example.

No comments:

Post a Comment