Friday, September 23, 2011

I delight in preparing for conference.

Tonight, my home teacher came over. I'm sure I have two, but a second was never mentioned and only one came...so again I say, my home teacher came over. I've been rather blessed since moving to Salt Lake as far as home teachers are concerned. In fact, my entire college life, I've been blessed with fantastic home teachers. The more I think about it, the more I think...Wow...sincerely awesome brothers have blessed my life.

That however, is not what I wanted to write about today. Today I want to tell you how I love waiting for general conference. And by waiting I mean preparing, praying, and pondering. Sunday, my bishop's wife, who sings in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, shared what the choir members are asked to do in preparation the week before general conference.

1. Fast
2. Attend the temple
3. Do an anonymous act of service
4. Right a wrong

What fantastic preparation for conference. As my home teacher pointed out, if we always do the same things, we can't expect different results.

Maybe changing up the way I prepare for conference this year will help to increase the experience I have learning and receiving revelation during general conference.

And so the challenge comes...the challenge of change. Next week is already a mess in my planner between school, clinic and work but I'm up for the challenge of incorporating the recommendations made to the choir to my own life to prepare for conference.

Whose with me?

1 comment:

  1. such a fabulous idea. i remember when we went to temple square once and the missionaries asked us what we were doing to prepare and i was like, uh? prepare? isn't it enough that i'm going to watch it? thanks for the boost to do something beforehand to get more out of it! i'm with ya :)

    ReplyDelete