Thursday, April 26, 2012

loving something vs loving the idea of something

I feel I'm wedged between these two ideas: 
loving something and loving the idea of that same something.  
Put another way, its the contrast between loving (insert here) and loving the idea of (insert same as previous).  

As I get closer to the point where I can make definite decisions about my future (as options open up)...I have been trying to filter through why (exactly) I love the things I love.

And do I really love them?

Or do I just love the idea of them?

I've thought about these things before.  I've even learned some pretty good lessons about distinguishing between the two before.  These lessons have related to everything from majors, to jobs, to boys, to goals and everything in between.

Now as I look to the future, I am becoming increasingly aware of the importance of not only doing the right things for the right reasons.  But doing the things I love because I truly love them, and not just because I love the idea of it.  Ideas are misleading because they are pretenses that may or may not evolve into what you love.  You could learn to love it, or your feelings might never change.

Hopefully this makes some sense.

I realize that most of my thoughts, are really only partially developed thoughts.  Writing about them however, helps my mind to process them more and they slowly grow into more complete thoughts.  Hopefully you are able to witness that progression with me as I write about things over time.

Tomorrow, I'm probably going to write somethings about commitment.  Its another topic I've been thinking a lot about.  I'll share one of my favorite talks about commitment that has changed the way I live my life.  It's a winner for sure.  Until then, a thought to ponder.  How can we develop the ability to more clearly discern if we really love something or whether we just love the idea of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment