Monday, February 29, 2016

general conference: worthy of our promised blessings

this was one of my favorite talks from last general conference.

october 2015 conference was an interesting experience. my family was in idaho. i was in my new house. i didn't have tv, i had run out of data on my phone, and i was overwhelmed with everything I had to do. i had missed the women's conference the week before. and honestly, i was just feeling sorry for myself in this transition to a new normal, aka living alone.

so i painted. i was determined i would finish my closet by myself. i painted the entire closet, the doors and i even hung the doors myself (not an easy task).  as i painted doors, i listened to women's conference. This quote struck me so deeply...

Understandably, many have expressed that our Father’s promised blessings are just “way too far away,” particularly when our lives are overflowing with challenges. But Amulek taught that “this life is the time … to prepare to meet God.”8 It is not the time to receive all of our blessings. President Packer explained, “‘And they all lived happily ever after’ is never written into the second act. That line belongs in the third act, when the mysteries are solved and everything is put right.”9However, a vision of our Father’s incredible promised blessings must be the central focus before our eyes every day—as well as an awareness “of the multitude of his tender mercies”10 that we experience on a daily basis.
Sisters, I do not know why we have the many trials that we have, but it is my personal feeling that the reward is so great, so eternal and everlasting, so joyful and beyond our understanding that in that day of reward, we may feel to say to our merciful, loving Father, “Was that all that was required?” I believe that if we could daily remember and recognize the depth of that love our Heavenly Father and our Savior have for us, we would be willing to do anything to be back in Their presence again, surrounded by Their love eternally. What will it matter, dear sisters, what we suffered here if, in the end, those trials are the very things which qualify us for eternal life and exaltation in the kingdom of God with our Father and Savior?
i'm so grateful to know that in the end, all will be made right.

No comments:

Post a Comment