Monday, February 15, 2016

I Write

For the past couple of years, I have felt that I should write more. When I say write more, I just mean, write more. What I'm trying to clarify here is that I don't mean to write better. I am terrible with grammar and punctuation. Sometimes, I give up on capitalization all together; although I'm trying to be better at that. I never know if I have dangling participles or if my use of commas is appropriate. I know my sentences run on and on. If that bothers you, either help me or don't worry about it. Maybe one day I will focus my efforts there but today...I just want to write! You see, I used to be a diligent journal writer...grad school killed that and it hasn't really come back. But, I have been somewhat of a diligent blog writer. Maybe its being able to tag and search for things that I've written or maybe its just the fact that its like a journal I can keep in my pocket, but I have written with some consistency on this platform, or on another closed platform depending on the subject.

Lately, I have taken to using this as a medium whereby I can collect thoughts and formulate an essay on a subject of interest. That subject of interest currently is the Provo City Center Temple. As I have studied related subjects and themes from my experience in attending the Open House, my life has been blessed as I have labored over what to write, how to write it and how to synthesize my studies together.

I've always had a unique way of studying that works for me. One day I want to describe it further and write about it but for now, I want to share the value of writing. Sometimes, I think I write too much when I study. I write words on new pages that are printed on other pages right in front of me. It makes no sense to me sometimes. But, I've determined there is value in this effort. For me, writing words somehow makes them a part of me in a way that just thinking about them as I read them doesn't do. It internalizes them, makes me experience them through another modality and maybe allows me to carry them with me a little longer than I would otherwise.

I was reflecting on Sunday about a quote book that I kept from Junior High through my mission. In that space of time, I filled an entire composition book with handwritten quotes that I had read that had left an impression on me. I have turned to that quote book for inspiration and guidance from the time I started it to present. I often reflect on quotes I wrote down so long ago. I laugh that I know exactly where to find them in the most hodge podged book of quotes. But I think it goes back to the fact that the written word has become a part of me. I could have typed them in a lengthy document only to be accessed on my computer. I could have typed them and taped them which might have worked too and definitely would have been more time economical but I really love that I took the time to write them.

While I love seeing the evolution of my penmanship (neat to messy to print then cursive), I also love remembering where the quote came from, who shared it with me, how it impacted me at the time and why I wrote it in the book. Its like a journal without the written description of why it was important in my life at the time. That history is written only in my heart.

And so, I commit to writing more. I started a new quote book after I finished the first one but haven't kept it with such diligence as I did the first one. I need to. I commit to continuing to work on the essay I've started about the Provo City Center Temple and to eventually publish it here.  I commit to my weekly recaps to monitor my progress on my goals and keep myself in check. I commit to my continued favorite way as of present to capture the sparkles of life which is Instagram. I commit to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment