Sunday, November 13, 2016

I delight my twenty-ninth year.



dear twenty-ninth year, 

You did it! You topped off 3 decades of an awesome life.  I sat down tonight to write my thankful heart piece for the day and only then realized, I still had more writing to do. I had to write this letter to you. 

You went on an adventure. Straight out of the gate last year, you headed to ASHA where you felt enlivened by your profession, grateful for the opportunities it provided and enthusiastic about lifelong learning. Christin and I had our first pie day sister sleepover where we even set up the Christmas tree. You know it was a success when its November 9th now and she has been asking (or telling :)) for 3-4 months when pie day is and that she is so excited to come to my house to make pies for our Thanksgiving. That girl has lit up this year! She finally finally finally picked up on all my years of modeling ask and tell and now she sometimes gets it right or sometimes she will say, "Uh Sis, I have to ask or tell you something." That's one way of dealing with this SLP sister of hers. Ha ha! But really, we have cleared up her intelligibility in a lot of respects and she has become much more receptive to my strategies. She even told me at one point this year that she has been having some problems with her "r's, l's, and e's." The first two I can see, the third...I'm not sure. :) She lights up my world and literally lights up my phone and my instagram with hearts and Christin. I feel so blessed to be her sister everyday! Twenty nine, thank you for an incredible year with all my family! 

Twenty-nine, please tell thirty to be nicer to my poor house. I feel like my house took me on a wild adventure. And my family was so helpful, and kind and supportive all along the way, even if they didn't help paint my walls. :( Okay, Dad did help the one day, ha ha! The basement flooded and I have since refinished the whole thing, including painting the walls "Erin's bright colors" (as Christin says). I replaced the windows in the house too. I had flowers thanks to my incredible parents who believe in flowers. And you know what, it wasn't so bad! Its also so fun to have family flowers and ferns. Most of all, I think I might love that I have Grandpa Bandley's stepping stone in my front garden. I stepped on it everyday this summer. Man I miss him. Twenty nine has had a void without my regular visits to see my Grandpa Bandley. He's made me know he's still around and about twice a year, I have a really good cry about it. Twenty-nine you've further cultivated my gratitude for the Plan of Salvation in so many ways. I'm so grateful for our Heavenly Father's plan for all his children.

Twenty-nine, you brought intentional living with my #olw being intentional. It's been so good. And I think the most intentional thing that has happened is being intentional about my learning, the time I spend with people, and intentionally defining my balance, boundaries and bandwidth. I'm seeking for relaxed control and thanks to some powersheets, some prayers and some incredible books, lectures, discussions, friends and teachings...my life has been incredibly blessed. The Lord truly has been in the details of my life. 

You brought adventures! Island Park multiple times...with Dad, Grandpa, Craig, Nicole, fishing with Dad, Christin, all the family, and alone. St. George with the fam. But my favorite adventure was back to the Maritimes! My heart was truly drawn there. Those 10 days were absolutely incredible. The weather, the people, the opportunities, the doors, the beauty, the hearts of the people of the Maritimes! I was so overwhelmed and so grateful. The best thing I came away with was a better understanding of where I am, where I've come from, and a vision of what I need more of.

Twenty-nine, you cuddled children, you chased your dreams, you did things you've never done before, you got brave, you upped your game, you bought patio furniture, you got another new job, you weeded a garden, you learned to direct a choir, you went to a lot of new restaurants, you drank lots of diet coke, you learned how to be "inspiralized," you learned how to grill and it actually has bee awesome!, you embraced "getting things done," you served in the temple, you read lots of books, you did some sewing, you took a lot of walks, you bought a kitchen table, you made a lot of phone calls, you connected with a lot of people, you cried, you laughed, you grieved, you sang, you danced, you painted, and you talked. You listened too and you tried really hard to make good choices and to build your faith.

Twenty-nine, you've taught me some valuable lessons, a few of which are: 

"When you begin to make things happen, you begin to believe you can make things happen and that makes things happen."

"You never make decisions on a hill."

"Comparison isn't just the thief of joy, it's the thief of everything."

"If something has your attention, it needs to have you attention, engaged."

"Its never too early, and its never too late.

"Being interested, makes you interesting."

"Life is short. Live it well."

"Boundaries. Bandwidth. Balance."

"If I give more to myself. I can ask more from myself. Self-regard isn't selfish." --Gretchin Rubin

"Let your prayers find access to thee."

"Mind like water. Get back to baseline. Don't ride every wave."

Thank you twenty-nine for all you've brought my way,

love always, 

erin









No comments:

Post a Comment