Thursday, August 12, 2010

I delight in treasured times.


Since I was in Junior High my Dad and I have gone on walks. We have our typical walk, it takes about an hour to go up, over, and back down again. Since this tradition has been going on for 10+ years now I can't help but look back and contemplate the impact our walks have had on me throughout the years.

There is often a debate about quality verses quantity time. Some believe you can make up for lack of quanity with more quality. Some thing that quality outweighs quantity anyway. I believe in both and that's exactly what our walks are.

Sometimes we talk non stop, other times we've been known to walk in silence--typically during my moody Junior High days (thank goodness those are over!). Sometimes Dad does more talking, although most of the time I do more talking. I tell him all about life, my questions, comments, concerns. He listens, doesn't usually interrupt and comes up with some sort of an answer or a relational story for me. He doesn't take me too seriously and seeing as I don't take myself too seriously, its a good thing. My favorite part though is that I have his undivided attention. I'm a lover of quality time...what more can I say?

Tonight as we walked and I discussed my latest thoughts, he listened and so wisely gave me his two cents. It is truly something special when you can really treasure some ones advice and when you can feel their love and respect for you through their words. I truly delight in this time treasured tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment