Thursday, December 2, 2010

I delight in finding.


Life is all about finding.
Isn't it?
In a way at least.
We're all here to find out way home. And I'm talking home home, to live with God. We're finding out about this mortality thing and what we're supposed to be doing with ourselves during this wonderful time on earth. I am a fan of mortality. I'm grateful that my fingers work (that my t-key has come back miraculously into use). I'm grateful that when I want to speak, I don't have to think about opening my mouth or about forming my lips or teeth or tongue or the breathe support but that it all just comes out. I'm a fan of the fact that my legs work, that get me in and out of bed everyday. I'm grateful my brain retains some of what I learn everyday.
I find more and more everyday all the wonderful ways God finds to bless me!
I find more and more everyday how much I can't do anything without him.
I find my dependence humbling.
I find the reminder of that dependence life saving.
We don't have to do it alone.
It was never intended we do it alone.

Tonight I had the opportunity to go to the temple (the only reason i love thursdays) and not just any temple but the Salt Lake temple. Afterward, Mary and I talked and then walked around temple square. We then wandered over to Deseret Book to check out Elder Scott's picture exhibit we were both deeply impressed at the depth of his conviction, faith, perspective and understanding.

On the back cover of Elder Scott's book, Finding Peace, Happiness and Joy, he states, "The sole purpose of this book is to help you, or one you love, find peace with happiness and joy in an ever more challenging world. It is not a book about theory but about truth." I just think that is beautiful. The world has an endless supply of opinions on everything. Pick a subject, there's a forum. The world especially has a lot of suggestions as to the ways to find peace, happiness, and joy in your life. However, there are suggestions, ideas, theories and then there is truth, eternal truth. Skip straight to the truth--it will get you to REAL peace, joy and happiness sooner than any other alternative. If you're looking for a great gift to give this holiday season: give the gift of truth, the gift of perspective, the gift of example, the gift of hope, and the gift of love, Elder Scott's book (one of my favorites--if you couldn't already tell)!!!

And so, as I turn to my scriptures this night to find the answers to the questions of the day, I share this quote with you from Elder Scott's book:
"President Marion G. Romney declared with characteristic candor: "I don't know much about the gospel other than what I've learned from the standard works. When I drink from a spring I like to get the water where it comes out of the ground, not down stream after the cattle have waded in it...I appreciate other people's interpretation, but when it comes to the gospel we ought to be acquainted with what the Lord says...You ought to read the book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants; and...all the scriptures with the idea of finding out what's in them and what the meaning is and not to prove some idea of your own. Just read them and plead with the Lord to let you understand what he had in mind when he wrote them (p. 261)."

Finding takes effort. But I believe, nothing is more worth it than finding truth for yourself. Do it with a sincere heart and I promise you will see the blessings. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment