Monday, July 18, 2011

I delight in the process.

picture from here
Right now, I'm consumed in writing a research paper--because I have procrastinated it. I haven't meant to procrastinate it, I've just enjoyed doing all the research. I keep finding more and more interesting articles that I just want to read and think about. Call me a dork or call me a passionate grad student, I don't really mind. Either way, I'm enjoying writing this research paper (minus the fear I have about not being 'creative' or citing my research in correct APA style since both of these things are in the grading criteria and I'm not feeling confident about either of them.
My paper is about Autism: Predictors in Adult Outcome. I chose this subject for personal reasons since Craig is in the adult category. I wanted to know if there were better answers about expectations parents can have for the future. Honestly, transitions are hard for people with autism (right Craig?). Change is just not his favorite thing unless its good change of course. But the transition from school life to non-school life is rough but do-able. As a one day/soon-to-be professional (meaning I have a degree and experience--however little experience that is...it'll be a start), anyway, I want to have answers for parents or at least a direction to point them in, resources to go to, possibilities to prepare for rather than the abyss of the future.
More on my paper later when I've actually drawn some more substantial conclusions in a more 'share-able' form--not that you're interested however I delight in autism so you hear about it a lot!
Anyhow, this week is about my Mom and yesterday she was super kind. She dug up the past, something she doesn't like to do. There is a reason that we keep lots of stuff piled in front of filing cabinets that hold documents from the past and that reason is because its in the past.
Remember how in the Lion King, there's a whole part about Simba and Rafiki where Rafiki is trying to get Simba to shape up and remember who he is. He knocks him on the head and Simba says, 'what did you do that for?' to which Rafiki replies, 'it doesn't matta, its in the past.' And so that's the view my Mom has taken in life...Whatever the past has been, you have a spotless future (kind of goes with yesterdays lesson huh?). However, there is something about looking to the pat and seeing how far you've come! Its a fantastic experience and yesterday as I read old papers--wow...progress! Being able to get far enough ahead to see with clarity what's really happened and how far you've really come is a variable amount of time, but its only a matter of time none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment