Saturday, February 9, 2013

delighting in week 6/52


freezing rain driveway
jan 2013

In the whirlwind of normalcy, another week has come to a close.

delights include:
  • reading books, two simultaneously
  • doing things i've never done before and seeing things i've never seen
  • spending time with a friend
  • the opportunity to bear my testimony
  • laughing, a lot of laughing. in therapy with patients and parents, at home with my family and everywhere in between
  • a snowy saturday where i could live the dream of books, cocoa and movies
  • observing for lend
  • mission snow boots
  • lend panel discussion with u of u students with disabilities
  • finding cute fabric for my next project(s)
  • hearing craig's genuine laugh during dinner
  • paycheck in the mail
  • hearing the i love lucy theme song from the neighboring room
  • watching the old man in front of me love and laugh throughout a play that i did not find to be funny at all, okay pathetically funny but not genuinely funny, he thought it was genuinely hilarious...or so he acted
  • unorganizing my closet
  • going to institute and being able to be the answer to someone's prayer as a direct result
  • going to bed ridiculously early to avoid sickness
  • my planner
  • finding all my tax information
  • my new valentine's day necklace from christin
Sometimes I wish my life weren't so protected by HIPAA and that I could share details of my week. It brings me so much joy, but alas you get it in vague terms and that's just the way it is. Overall, it has been a delightful week, tough but delightful. There is something about the days when you feel absolutely exhausted in every way that is so satisfying. 

I was thinking of someone I know who retired early and is currently "living the life" or so one would think. As I thought of our lives in contrast, I thought and wondered what that would be like...no work, no demands, and an abdication of family responsibility. What's left? And what kind of a life would that be? I can't imagine.

That's when I immediately thought about the general authorities of the church, all the senior missionaries serving across the world and parents who care for children with special healthcare needs and children who care for aged parents. The opportunity to work, learn, serve, love and progress is fantastic regardless of the specific capacity with which we are able to do it in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment