Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I delight in timing.


Time. Sometimes it seems like time is in abundance...when will this class ever end? or when will it ever be bed time? or when will this gathering conclude?

Most of the time however, I find myself thinking...where did the time go? when am i going to find the time to finish this? do i have enough time to do this before this other thing?

That's one aspect of time however my delight today is focused on the correct timing of things in my life.

The Lord uses time to help us gain understanding and reach further growth. Ever been told to be patient? Its a growth thing. If we got what we asked for the minute we asked for anything, we'd never stand in need of want and thus never realize the blessings of the Lord.

He has taught me many times to wait for his hand to be revealed. Waiting to go on a mission. Waiting to find out if I got into graduate school. Even now waiting to understand my purpose during this time that I'm going through. Its during the wait and after the wait that I finally begin to SEE why. I begin to realize why the wait was necessary because the timing hadn't been right before.

Even in the little things of life. Last week I began reading a book I have seriously started 5 times in the past 3 years but before when I'd tried to read it, I just could not get into it so back on the bookshelf it would go until I finished another book and would then pull it out to try it again. However it just wasn't right, until now. I am reading it just eating up every minute, hanging on to each page anxiously until I can turn it and eat up the next page. Last night, I thought...why haven't I read this book until now? And then I realized...I had TRIED! I had tried hard too! But now I have various experiences under my belt and a certain amount of knowledge in my head that has allowed me to have a wonderful experience reading this book. I guess the foundation had to be built before I could put anything on it, like the information I'm gaining in my current reading.

Again, I never know if this will make any sense to anyone outside of my head. I think my brain is a little unique in the way it works. However, I think we can all learn to find joy in the journey, and joy in the timing of the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. i love this. it's hard to delight in timing when it's not working out as you want/expect, but as you said, in hindsight we often realize that everything worked out exactly as it should have. thanks for reminding me to find joy in the Lord's timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just finished reading all your entries since this one. I've been at girls camp! I love all the entries and I especially love the picture of Christin looking at those pictures. How sweet! I also just finished preparing my lesson for YW tomorrow and it is about counseling with the Lord. This post and the lesson both remind me that we have to pray with sincerity and wait for responses, even if those responses take a long time and they aren't always the answer we want. I love being able to talk to my Heavenly Father and I love knowing that he cares enough to make sure things work for my benefit, no matter the timing. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete