Saturday, September 18, 2010

I delight in awareness.

pic from amazon

Consider yourself warned that I am writing this post under influence of Willard, the library which has held me captive for a while now and will hold me captive for a few more hours. However, I'm taking a break to share with you some things I've learned in this study session.

For the past hour, I have been pretending like I'm a parent whose child just received the diagnosis of Autism (its my assignment). I've been scouring the internet looking for resources to find out what the prognosis is for speech and language development. And you know what I've found? A lot of fluffy (general) information. I focus not so much on the fluff but on the sheer amount of information. How could a parent ever sift through it all? Even if they did how could they sift out what is true and what is just made up junk? I have no idea. Especially considering the highly emotional state they would inevitably be in as the embarked on the search.

I am now formulating and handout of suggestions for parents who find themselves in this situation, its been a mind opening experience. I'm seeing it on a new side. I've always heard my Mom's experiences of my brother being diagnosed with Autism and I'm seeing a new and challenging side as a clinician in training. I have a lot of opinions about the subject on things like the effect of labels in general, stereotypes held solely by society not based on any evidence, the DSM and the "many forces besides science [who] shape it, including politics, fashion and tradition" (Time Magazine, January 20, 2003, Cloud, pg. 103), the social memes (thank you dr. redmond) and the increasing use of the label of autism. I'm sure I'll oblige in further discussion another time.

For now and for me personally...I delight in the kind of awareness this movie has created. I am a fan. I own and have read the book. I also own and have watched the movie which was highly recognized at the recent Emmy awards. It is a unique and well portrayed view of one persons life with autism that anyone can learn something from. I recommend it.


5 comments:

  1. I have a good friend in our ward who has a SEVERELY autistic boy who is 12. They have been really struggling with him for the last year trying to find some balance for him with medications and routines. He is close to 6 feet tall and weighs just about 200 pounds and is STRONG. Due to imbalances with his medications right now he also gets very violent because he gets frustrated and can't communicate his frustrations. It is so hard to watch their struggle and know that there really isn't anything that I can do to help. They also have another son, who's 14, that is autistic but is highly functional. He actually reminds me a lot of Craig with some of his mannerisms and how much information he knows about certain subjects. Alice absolutely amazes me with how well she deals with it all, but their stuggle also just breaks my heart. I'll have to find that movie and watch it. It sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the recommendation. i watched the emmys and had never heard of the movie...good to know it's worth watching.

    ps- you will be great at your job because you have seen every side of the challenges people face that you will be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo...is your handout appropriate for the birth to three population? Because it would be great to have something like that on hand for when my clients with autism first get the diagnosis. Usually though, what I have found, is that parents are online and trying to find information before their kid has a diagnosis...so parents of kids who don't have autism want them tested and want treatment for a disorder that is not appropriate. It is for sure a label that is tossed around a lot (especially in early intervention).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita--my heart goes out to your friend! She sounds like an amazing mother!

    Carly--Seriously...I recommend the show...I have it if you want to borrow it! And thanks for your kind words!

    Sorry Skylee! My handout isn't anything amazing. I know what you mean though. Its interesting how some parents would rather have a diagnosis of autism more than something like SLI just because they're way more familiar with the term Autism. Oh labels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nothing against what you posted, totally agree....this is more of a side note: you know you are in grad school when you begin siting your blogs....save that for a T-shirt

    ReplyDelete