Thursday, September 2, 2010

I delight in the good old days.


Those good old days, I used to know. Where have they gone? Where did they go?

Remember them? Well, in my good old days:
I was wearing blue.
I could walk to my class in 8 minutes.
People I didn't know said hi on campus. I did the same and didn't get any weird looks.
There were no PETA protesters.
My ward was my complex and another complex on the next block.
I had sacrament meeting in the same room as biology.
I wore earplugs when trying to do homework in my apartment and when trying to go to sleep. The bell tower played hymns...my favorite? Come Come Ye Saints.
HONOR CODE.
The library's name was Harold.
Classrooms never smelled like coffee or smoke.
All the men were clean shaven.
The closest thing I ever heard to swear words were funny utah words like "oh my heck" and "oh gosh."
Modesty existed.
Campus shut down for devotional every Tuesday 11-12 and general conference.
The library of course was not open on Sunday.
There were campus campaigns like "cougars don't cut corners" and "leggings don't count as pants." Oh the good old days.
The Y on the mountain was huge and took a hike to get to.
I walked up 119 stairs every morning and down them every night.
I frequented places like J-dawgs.
There were no caffeinated beverages on campus but there were delicious wraps.
Campus was full of immaculate flower gardens and on a warm day, people were all over the grass.
Periodicals were not in an 'arc' they were the place you went to meet people...or just your whole ward.


Currently...I'm wondering if I'll ever adjust to my new environment, where everything is red.

Where the library hours are 8-2 am everyday except for Friday and Saturday when they close at 8...apparently those are party nights...Sunday is the study night here. (insert sad face here)
I now commute to campus via public transportation or my car.
The time it takes to get to campus varies on the time of class and when I leave...TRAFFIC!!!
Grad students do not get parking passes, luckily I live at the clinic in the research park and thus do not need a parking pass.
There is a campus shuttle system...the colors of the buses represent Utah's Universities...red, blue, and even purple.
There are coffee shops everywhere.
Bikes and skateboards get their own routes and lanes on the sidewalk.
People smoke.
I've been asked what 'institute' and 'missions' are.
Campus is HUGE.
The U on the mountain is right next to houses.
Pretty sure I've heard most of my professors swear.
People insult my alma mater all the time.
I don't even know my ward boundaries.
There is no such thing as an 'honor code' or required university housing guidelines.
Commuter school.
Men have facial hair.
Anything seems to go, anytime, anywhere.
Marriott (the library) lets me eat in him! There's even a deli and tables that look like they belong in a restaurant.

I found myself in a sea of red today. I didn't know what to do and I'm glad I wasn't alone (thank you Mary). I miss being a cougar and living in Provo sometimes. How do I feel about being a Ute now? Honestly, I'm still undecided. I like the U and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be here. My blue just runs deeper than I ever thought it could. It will be interesting to see if I ever find a balance and if red ever looks more appealing.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that they made some changes and there are now places in Harold where you can eat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spending all that time at the 'Y' gives you a chance to be somewhat sheltered from the real world. The real world can be very hard to deal with but I promise you will adjust to the changes. I can't promise that red will ever run deeper than the blue, though. Hang on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I felt almost the exact same but opposite feelings entering my graduate program! I thought it was completely inappropriate that we prayed in our classes, that the university required undergraduates to take (and be graded in) religion courses, and that my teachers assumed that everyone in my program was LDS...isn't it funny how attached you can get to your old routines and expectations? Never fear, I now have an appreciation for both the U and BYU. Plus think what awesome professors you have! Dr. Roy is a genius when it comes to voice intervention...you are sooo lucky!

    ReplyDelete