Thursday, February 9, 2012

I delight in compensatory planning strategies.

Every day off starts roughly the same way.
With a to-do list.

Of course, it tends to be filled with more items than one person could ever reasonably do in one day, but I always give it my best go. If I'm worried I'm going to get distracted, I break my day down by hours and give myself an appropriate number of tasks to complete each hour. Additionally I have been a religious planner user since junior high school so that helps me keep track of what needs to happen and when. Finally my phone and computer both have calendars, notes and stickies (electronic style) that remind me what I need to do, where I need to be and what I need to do to be prepared when the time comes. Oh and don't forget those post-it notes--they're great. And I have a strange tendency to write lists on napkins or kleenex's--clean ones of course.

Point of this story? I use all the strategies I teach to people at work who have cognitive impairments myself. I believe in and encourage these strategies for those who need them because they work when employed consistently and when needed.

My day off would not be remotely productive without compensatory strategies. Good thing what I do all week carries over into my everyday life so well...and vice versa.

In other news, I was unable to sleep in this morning. I should have appreciated that fact more than I did. Additionally, the praxis is a month away...thank heavens. And finally, the internet is a great, grand and marvelous thing in helping me learn how to write a curriculum vitae. Thank heavens.

No comments:

Post a Comment