Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I delight in sincere love.

Is there really a love more deep than the love between a man and his dog? Humor me a little on this one will you?

I'm not a Valentine's day hater, but I'm certainly not "into" it in the way a lot of other people are. To me, at this point in my life, Valentine's day is just another "day in the life of Erin and today will prove nothing different than any other day at the surface level."

However, I love any reason to celebrate. Valentines day at my house is celebrated by having pizza for dinner, I kid not. This year, I did attempt to get a little crafty and so I something extra to show those I love how much I love them.

But all that aside, these days I spend most of my time at the hospital for my externship. I have recently come to appreciate a new and deepened sense of the term love.

It is defined differently by different people. It can be manifest regardless of relation to a person. It can be evidenced by word, kind deeds, generous thoughts or in a fleeting passing glance. Love is not solely in saying "I love you" or in getting chocolates, affections or flowers; no, love is more. Love more! Love is deeper than just the here and now, it is a heart felt regard for another person, their character, their being and their soul.

Today I am thankful to be loved and to have the ability to love. I am reminded of the "homecoming" talk I gave when I got home from my mission. It was framed around Elder Bednar's talk, "More Diligent and Concerned at Home." Here is an excerpt from His talk:

Express Love—and Show It

We can begin to become more diligent and concerned at home by telling the people we love that we love them. Such expressions do not need to be flowery or lengthy. We simply should sincerely and frequently express love.

Brethren and sisters, when was the last time you took your eternal companion in your arms and said, “I love you”? Parents, when was the last time you sincerely expressed love to your children? Children, when was the last time you told your parents that you love them?

Each of us already knows we should tell the people we love that we love them. But what we know is not always reflected in what we do. We may feel unsure, awkward, or even perhaps a bit embarrassed.

As disciples of the Savior, we are not merely striving to know more; rather, we need to consistently do more of what we know is right and become better.

We should remember that saying “I love you” is only a beginning. We need to say it, we need to mean it, and most importantly we need consistently to show it. We need to both express and demonstrate love.

President Thomas S. Monson recently counseled: “Often we assume that [the people around us] must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know. … We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us” (“Finding Joy in the Journey,” Liahona and Ensign,Nov. 2008, 86).

Feeling the security and constancy of love from a spouse, a parent, or a child is a rich blessing. Such love nurtures and sustains faith in God. Such love is a source of strength and casts out fear (see 1 John 4:18). Such love is the desire of every human soul. We can become more diligent and concerned at home as we express love—and consistently show it.

That second to last line is one of my favorites..."Such love is the desire of every human soul." We all want love in our life and that's a good thing! Let us love more freely, openly, and let others know how much they mean to us everyday, not just today.

If you're in need of a "funny valentine" song...well here you go.

1 comment:

  1. Valentine's Day is just another day in my universe, too! This is a very good reminder, though, to show that love every day and to tell our loved ones regularly that we love them. The kids get a kick out of me telling them things like, "I love you. You're my favorite Brady!" or "I love you. You're my favorite daughter!" To which I usually get a response like "I'm your ONLY Brady" or "Mom, I'm your ONLY daughter". They always laugh, though, and they always know that I love them!

    ReplyDelete