Thursday, April 21, 2011

I delight in educating desires.

photo by my dad...its a porcupine in a tree

Currently, I'm doing just that...educating my desires. I am passionate about helping people and about communication, hence I'm studying speech-language pathology, its the perfect match! On my mission of my district leaders gave a fantastic training about the importance of educating our desires. It made an everlasting impact on my life...we have desires for reasons and it is up to us to educate those desires. So if you desire to learn cake decorating, Sister Oaks said the classes at Michaels are 'fabulous,' if you desire to sew, well by golly learn how, if your passion is rocks, go rockhounding, if your passion is people, talk to them, if your passion is learning french, well learn it! A world of knowledge is at our finger tips, what we choose to learn is entirely up to us.

All semester I have been working with the two most amazing little boys. They have captivated my heart and have driven me to do things I never thought I could do. My expectations have risen has they have in turn risen to the occasion and reached beyond their goals. Today was the last time I'll have them in therapy. It breaks my heart in someways but in other ways I feel nothing but pure joy. Joy in their confidence and their honed abilities to express themselves. They have impacted my life and truly 'shown me how its done.'

What does a picture of porcupine have to do with any of this? Nothing. Pretend its a beaver will you...it goes better with my story. The word beaver was difficult word for one of my clients. We worked on it and worked on it...why am I working on the word beaver? He loves animals and it was in our book (It's Not Easy Being A Bunny). Anyway, we worked and worked and he has beaver down now as well as bear, bird, pig, moose, possum and skunk. Today as he read the book (with my help of course) to his next semester clinician my heart radiated with joy as I heard him say beaver with ease. He was no longer the shy boy who was insistent the word was 'too hard.' He was now the boy saying the word was 'easy.' His primary desire is to communicate, to interact back with the world around him. He's working so hard to educate himself, to learn and to do it better, so others will understand him. He is my example of the importance of taking control of what we want to do in life and doing it. And so, life lesson from a 4 year old hit home for me today....'Educate Your Desires.'

No comments:

Post a Comment