Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I delight in my mind's eye.


my favorite place

I'm not exactly sure what that means...'mind's eye.' But it reminds me of a scripture.

Matthew 6: 22: The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

I can't say I'd ever given this scripture much thought until it was one of my mission companion's favorite scriptures, after that, it seems I have thought about this scripture a lot. It means different things at different times, but the overarching question I have whenever I think about this scripture is: "Where's your focus?"

Where are you setting your sights? What is your eye focused on? What's in your scope of vision and how are you progressing toward that goal?

Yesterday it seems I found myself thinking a lot about places I'd rather be than where I currently am. I'm not sure why. I'm rather happy with where I am and the current opportunities life is affording me. Sometimes however, I get caught up in my own thoughts of where I could be, where I want to be. While the latter question is probably better than the former, neither thought is as empowering as the thought: how am I using the now to prepare me for what lies ahead. Thinking thoughts like that gives perspective to not only the future but the present.

And so, today in my mind's eye I'm dreaming of warmer days and time to exercise. Healthier days (3 balanced meals and orange juice that doesn't taste like licorice). Days of less stress (test, paper, clinic, externships, test, paper, project clinic), less sickness (3rd time this semester, same thing every time). I'm imagining utilizing all I'm learning in school. I'm imagining the people I will one day encounter and how I will be able to help them, as Dr. Blomgren put it..."This is why our job is great, because we get to see change!" I'm reflecting on amazing friends and family who support me 100%. I'm being grateful for favorite places: a stream in montana, the temple, a field in nova scotia. I delight in a happy heart. I'm grateful for the Atonement so that the not so good things can become good things and 'wotofomygo'. Overall, I am grateful for the knowledge that enables me to view life from an eternal perspective.

1 comment:

  1. let's go back! please!?! i am so honored to be in a picture on your blog even if it is a shadow.

    ReplyDelete