Sunday, June 5, 2011

I delight in feelings.


"How do you feel about all these men's pictures on the walls?" a woman from the Netherlands asked. I was caught off guard and my answer was delayed. But then it came to me..."The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world."

I'd never distinctly thought about how I felt about the actual pictures on the walls. For most of my seminary life the same 15 pictures hung on the wall. The photographs of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints hang on the walls of every seminary and institute classroom. That means that for years, everyday or now, every week I look at these pictures. With this woman's question, I was forced to think about what I think about when I see these pictures, how do I feel?

Answer? I feel inspired, uplifted, and blessed.

As the conversation with the Dutch woman continued without me I wandered this wall of pictures, looking at each individually. I stopped at Elder Scott and I think the eyes of his painting penetrated my soul. I recognized the emotion as reverence and respect. Not only for the counsel I have received his voice (and all the other general authorities of the church) but for the lives they have lead to warrant such trust from the Lord. You see a valuable lesson I learned once is that God does love all his children, but he trusts them differently. These men have remained true to the trust all of their lives.

Concurrently I recognized that behind every good man in each of those paintings was an equally good wife as well as a wonderful mother. As I listened to the testimony of my mother, my roommate and the tour guide of the power and respect they personally feel as women in the church my heart resonated with their words.

I personally have always found great power in being counted as a female member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are blessed to have great influence in so many ways, as revered wives and mothers, teachers of the children and the young women, leaders in many callings and service positions. I have found purpose, direction, and empowerment as a Latter-day Saint woman in a time when the world degrades the eternal purposes of womanhood.

And so today, I share with you the feelings of my heart. I am grateful for the gospel in my life. I'm grateful to be where and who I am. The pictures of the 'men' are near and dear to my heart for each has taught me an invaluable lessons with the most paramount being that Jesus Christ lives. His church is again restored on the earth and is available to all God's children.

No comments:

Post a Comment