Saturday, December 3, 2011

I delight in the cousins party.

Christin waiting for the guests to arrive.

My entire life, I've heard about "the cousin's party."

On the first Saturday of December, my Mom and her cousins all get together. It is not a fancy ordeal, it is completely about the company. They eat dinner, laugh, talk, catch up, and best of all, they play bingo for white elephant gifts.

All of my cousins and I have always known that we were not invited to the night our parents seemed to talk about and look forward to so much. A few years ago (or more than a few now), Craig and Christin became regulars at the cousin's party. And because I was home tonight...I got to meet my Mom's cousins, some of whom I'm not sure I remember ever meeting before. They're all delightful people. I'm proud to call them family.

While the cousins party is not a tradition I participate in regularly, I would say a 45-year tradition, stands in the forefront of my mind of the way traditions should be. This one is centered on family, love, and making both a priority. Some cousins flew in just for the occasion.

I'm grateful to be a part of such a strong heritage of making family a priority through quality traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment