Sunday, February 20, 2011

I delight in space exploration.

I can hardly believe its been an entire year since I witnessed this sight and felt the rumble of the space shuttle Endeavor taking off from Cape Canaveral. This is what I wrote about the experience soon after:
"About 5 minutes before launch, we sang the National Anthem and I can't even begin to describe the patriotistic pride that penetrated the air. It was this thick, genuine feeling of...joy for all that the space program stands for: Freedom. Innovation. Optimism. Future. Knowledge. Growth. Progress. Gratitude. Love.

And so, as we counted down together, it was like the entire audience became a family and as the 4:14 am sky lit up with the glow of pure ENERGY... you couldn't help but have a tear come to your eye...indescribable. Smiles definitely abounded.

As the crew reached orbit at 8.5 minutes...we all cheered! :) They were literally out of this world.

I have spent my entire life around the space program but I can honestly say that until today...I didn't really catch the 'vision' of everything the space program stands for and why it is significant in my life. Not only is it the lively hood of my Dad as it was for my Grandpa but to me it stands for everything truly American. I cannot think of anything more American. Working on an international level with upteen countries intricately building the international space center...its a great unifier. And its a great work that unifies us...research, learning, knowledge, technology that is beneficial to all people of all nations of the world. That is unique."

2 comments:

  1. This is very neat, thanks for sharing. What a fantastic experience. What have your dad and grandpa done for a living?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both worked for ATK Thiokol. A company that builds solid rocket motors for the boosters of the space shuttle.

    ReplyDelete