Sunday, February 13, 2011

I delight that love is a song that never ends.


Wow, last week was a little too out of control and this week is looking to be about the same way. Like Lindsay has said on multiple occasions this week--"People keep telling me, 'Don't work to hard.' I just tell them, 'Don't worry, I can't work hard enough." And so it seems to be going right now! No matter how hard I work, it seems there is always more to be done. In fact, this week I have never been so tempted break some of my 'non-negotiables.' Things that in my book, for my own reasons just aren't things that even have room for negotiation...I just don't do them or I can't not do them. One key example being: doing homework on Sunday. A long time ago I decided that it was keeping my mind from being where it needed to be on the Sabbath day. So, I decided I wasn't going to do homework on Sunday any more. Surely sacrifices are required most weekends but the Lord has proven to me over and over, more times than I can count that obedience to this law--brings blessings ten fold. And so, even though part of me wants to be very stressed this Sunday because Saturday didn't have enough hours in it to get everything done (I know right?), I know it will all work out. It always has in the past so why would that change now?

So this morning I woke up (feeling surprisingly well rested), with big plans to attend Music and the Spoken Word down at the Tabernacle at Temple Square. Both friends I had planned on going with woke up with super sore throats so for me that meant staying home or going alone. I sat on my bed in debate and then looked outside. The sunshine called my name and off I went and I'm so grateful I did. You see, I think the Lord needed to remind me of something that well...I needed to be reminded of. There is this world outside the little bubble I live in. I could hardly believe it myself. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I need to do, what's due next week, when my next exam is, how I'm going to target that goal in therapy, when I'm going to have time to get this or that done that I completely forget that there are 'bigger things,' other things besides me. I almost forget about the beauty of God's creations, about taking time to serve and to 'never suppress a generous thought'. I needed the wake up call to what life was really about, the call to put some perspective in my life. Perhaps this lack of perspective is what has kept this blog rather barren since the beginning of the semester--I allowed myself to get such tunnel vision that I began to loose sight of the many delights of life. Well, the spirit touched my soul in such a beautiful way today, reminding me of my Savior's love and the undeviating course available to each of us--the way to eternal life. As the choir sang songs about love in its many forms I remembered...Valentine's is tomorrow. My thoughts centered on the love of our Heavenly Father for all his children and the love I have for the people in my life. I was especially of the importance of this love as the tabernacle choir sang, "Love is a song (watch the clip above)." I heard them practice this song over the summer at a Thursday night rehearsal I attended. I needed reminder that day and I needed that same reminder today--love is a song that never ends. Bambi, the movie, has long had a special place in my heart. While it now would make me cry really hard, at one point, when I was very young, I loved this movie. In so much that I memorized the words before I could read from my parents reading it to me so many times. I would then claim to 'read' it to other people when really I was just reciting the words that I knew were on each page and turned the pages accordingly. Well today, the choir sang this song straight to my soul:
Love is a song that never ends
Life may be swift and fleeting
Hope may die yet love's beautiful music
Comes each day like the dawn

Love is a song that never ends
One simple theme repeating
Like the voice of a heavenly choir
Love's sweet music flows on
What a beautiful message for this beautiful season of Spring. As I listened to this little old man who was talking to his little old wife after the broadcast he said, "Just look at this, there is sunshine on my face and no rain falling from the sky. I can get used to this." I couldn't help but turn around and say, "me too!" Life is too beautiful, too wonderful to let it pass by almost unnoticed. Taking time to do the things that matter most, make all the difference. A lesson I've learned many times and a lesson I always seem to need to be reminded of again.

In closing, I'll leave you with this quote from a famous author (Nicholas Sparks) that Brother Newell shared during the broadcast today, I think its beautiful and the lessons we can learn from those around us who have truly learned to love not only God but their spouse, children and even themselves...well they are wonderful examples to us all.

"I am nothing special; just a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived: I've loved another with all my heart and soul; and to me, this has always been enough."



No comments:

Post a Comment