Monday, January 9, 2012

I delight in "instead of classroom."


Today was the day I felt like I'd been waiting for all my life. I've loved my major since the moment I saw the purple paper 5 years ago. I loved it before then, I just didn't realize what my major was going to be yet. You see, 5 years ago about this time of year I decided I hated my "then" major of business. I still love business and love when people discover I am business savvy enough to discuss the basics. However, at the time I felt like that field was going to be too self-serving for me. I needed to focus in a different direction.

I then embarked on the journey that most freshmen students embark on--the search for a major. I remember going to various buildings on BYU campus and checking out their advisement centers. I took some "career tests" all of which told me I should look into service type careers which wasn't specific enough as I already knew that much. Ever since I was little I can always remember wanting a job where I "helped people." I met with various academic counselors but the day I wandered into the McKay Education building is the one I remember the most. I was looking at the "major/minor" flow charts to see what majors required in regards to classes. That's when I pulled out the purple paper labeled, "Speech Pathology and Audiology." I'd never before considered it as a major/job/future profession, even though I'd been exposed to it since I was little thanks to Craig and LB. In that instant, I knew that was my future. I signed up to talk with a counselor and told her that day I wanted to change my major--I think she thought I was a little rash and told me to think about it before officially declaring it but I insisted.

I remember when she told me I'd need a masters degree. That didn't excite me, it horrified me but I knew it was what I wanted to do enough that I thought...well I'll deal with that later.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm at the end of the road (well almost) in terms of schooling (at least for now ;). I've spent years in classrooms but today I was on the job. It was one of the most edifying, exhilarating days of my life. I was more excited than nervous--heck, I even ate breakfast this morning (that is saying something for a person whose nerves regularly get the best of them). Needless to say, it was a fantastic day. I met fantastic people. Have a absolutely fantastic supervisor. And honestly, I just feel so blessed. Blessed to be able to be here. Blessed to know what I know and to have had the path literally open up for me to be here. It is not a coincidence. I have seen the Lord's hand in it all every single step of the way.

Today felt like a checkpoint. One of those times when I really felt like, well Heavenly Father, I'm here. And it is like he says, that's right where you're supposed to be. I seek these moments of confirmation. Seek and ye shall find.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so glad things went well on your first day. You will be amazing, on the job is a great way to put the things you have learned into good use too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that everything went well!! I hope that the rest of the job is as fulfilling and exciting as your first day!

    ReplyDelete