Monday, January 23, 2012

I delight in remembering.


What a day. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by how hard some peoples lives are. It's the nature of my job to see lots of people in lots of circumstances in life. Most of the time they've gone through something traumatic. A stroke, an accident, the list goes on and on. For some, life will never be the same. We talk about things in terms of "the new normal" i.e. what they and their families will need to adjust to as being the new way it is. Coping with "new normals" is not an easy task.

I'm still working on not bringing work home. Right now, I can't help it. My heart aches for these people, their families, the lives changed and affected by usually a split second occurrence.

Over the weekend, I ran across this magnificent magnet at Deseret Book. "Remember who you are, otherwise they'll take you to the hospital and check for brain injuries." I took an instant liking to it because I work with people with brain injuries. The words served a more important purpose in standing as a reminder of the bigger picture...who we really are.

Really, we're all spiritual beings having an earthly experience, not to be confused with the other way around. This means that we are spiritual beings, or children of God first, and everything else second. This eternal identity viewed from an eternal perspective helps to keep the trials of life constrained to their proper place... stepping stones to further growth and attainment (a little paraphrasing from this talk by Elder Scott).

This perspective thing is truly easier said than done. While I'd like to think that I maintain this mindset all the time...I don't. There are days and times when it seems that the here and now consumes me. Yesterday was one of those days. But I need those times too. I need the opportunity to learn again and remember again the things I know deep down. Each time I like to think that my testimony of the need for a Savior and his continuous Atonement grows just a little. Each time I am reminded how grateful I am for the possibility for change. For the knowledge of the resurrection. For the blessings of tomorrows which bring new outlooks on life--full of hope and possibility, growth and progression--however much or however little it may be. I delight in remembering the whole picture, the whole purpose, the whole meaning, the whole possibility, and the whole plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment